Wednesday, April 5, 2017

What is MEDICAL TECHNOLOGY and why I chose it?

As I graduated from high school, I was really firm with my plan of choosing Information Technology course in a well-known university. It was a neat plan to start building my future career until suddenly.... fate have shifted its direction...it changed my life...and the next thing I knew, I found myself in a medical school taking this course I'm not so familiar with... the Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology. 

Let me introduce to you my chosen profession... 
What is Medical Technology? 


BS Medical Technology is a four year degree program that equips students with knowledge and skills in laboratory tests used in the detection, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases (finduniversity.ph) Medical technologists also known as medical laboratory scientists work in hospitals or free standing laboratories to collect and analyze/process patient's blood samples and other body fluids. They are trained to operate the machines used in each sections. They are the key players in patient diagnosis by providing accurate results to the physician. 

They are well-trained in the areas of:
  • clinical chemistry- where tests like lipid panel (cholesterol, triglycerides), fasting blood sugar, creatinine are performed
  • hematology - CBC
  • microbiology - identifying isolated bacteria, fungi, viruses in cultures
  • immunology -  performing Hepatitis panel, HIV Test, Thyroid panel
  • immunohematology (blood bank) - crossmatching, preparation of blood units, operating the platelet apheresis machine
  •  urinalysis and body fluids - stool exam, semen analysis

Why did I choose this course?

My father wanted me to become a doctor and he told me that this is the best pre-med course to take. Also, I've always loved science and it made me realize that the course is not so common as compared to information technology. Because of that, I defied the odds and choose this interesting course.


About my college life...

Choosing medical technology was very challenging yet interesting. To add, I had a scholarship to maintain. There were times when I don't know what subject to prioritize. All of them are difficult but then I had friends who made medtech life fun for me. I learned that it's not just always memorization on terms but also you should be able to understand its concepts. This was the time I was not that good in phlebotomy but I got better as internship came. It was a balanced learning actually, as we were fed with lots of theories during lower years and immersed with its application during the internship


Am I using what I learned in college?

Yes. During school and internship, I was able to apply everything I learned.  In school, I learned the manual method in the microscopic examination of urine as well as manual differential counts already. The identification of each cells made easier because of the morphology our instructors taught us. It made me appreciate more  the concepts that I learned in books in the actual practice. 



How long did it take to find a job after graduation?
Since most of the laboratories prefer licensed medtechs, I spent 4 months of preparing for the licensure exam. After I passed the boards, it took me only one week to find my first job. I worked as a all-around medical technologist in a secondary primary laboratory with a good chief medtech that served as one of my mentors.
My current job?
I'm now working as a registered medical technologist in one of the private hospitals here in Cebu.

Do I recommend studying Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology?


Of course. The Philippines needs more medical technologists. Aside from being considered as the best course if you're going to pursue medicine, being medical technologist has a lot to offer.  This profession provides you a continuing education. The pursuit of learning new techniques regarding new clinical advancements are endless and so are the employment opportunities. 

Advice to people who are thinking of studying this course?

Be in mind that this course is a survival to the fittest. If you're already in it, you have to finish what you've started. Medical Technology entails sacrifice, dedication and confidence in your part, may it be while you're still studying or in a working scenario already. You have to possess a positive attitude that you will pass. Focus in your studies and learn to know the subject matter by heart. Theory and application should come together. The microscope is your friend so expect for practical tests on identification on various organisms. A licensed/registered medical technologist gets higher salary compared to those who are not so it is better if you pass the board exam.

---------------------------------------
I hope this blog will enlighten your mind on choosing the right course. Good luck!

No comments: