Friday, July 10, 2020

A DREAM THAT COMES WITH A COST

Everything God is preparing for you is worth the wait. 

Finally my dream has started to realize. July 1, when I found out that our employer had already rebooked our ticket, mixed emotions felt. A feeling of happiness and at the same time anxiety took over. When I told my family that I already had a flight scheduled, my mother was grateful and she told me to get hurry in complying the travel requirements.

Although Papa was not feeling well but I can feel the immense support he has given me as he drove me to the places I needed to go just for my medical certificate and travel pass. I should say that getting these travel documents were a hassle because of the retained ECQ status in Cebu City. 

As I look at my itinerary, I couldn't help feeling nervous. Five flights were not a joke, The Cebu-Manila-Incheon-San Francisco-Chicago-Sioux City route was bothersome but I need to survive them all. Although it was very hard to leave my family but I needed to do it in order to support my sister's education.  

It was Sunday, 1 o'clock in the afternoon. I was finalizing the things in my luggage. Then came the painful moment that I need to go. As I hugged my crying Mum, I couldn't hold back my tears. I let the tears flowed down on my cheeks. It will be long until I can smell her fragrant smell again. I hugged Kenneth and Cherry as well. I was really emotional and I immediately went inside the car for I couldn't take the bitter reality of leaving home. Leaving home was painstaking but it is about time.

During the travel to the airport, I was so silent to father. I don't know what else to say although I know Pup was also holding back his emotions. We arrived at the airport and unloaded my baggage from the back. How I wanted to hug him but he seemed to be in a haste. He was making the quick drop off an excuse. The last time I remembered was I gave a kiss on his cheek and he drove away after that.

Now I know that there's no turning back anymore and I went on pushing my cart loaded with my baggage inside the airport.

To someone who has never flown overseas, to me, this is a new experience. This is a new adventure to unravel. 

Our first stop was Manila and our flight to Korea was on the next day so we spent a night at Gatchalian Guesthouse which was a comfortable stay. The guesthouse served us a delicious beef tapa for breakfast.

I just kept myself strong and kept on praying to God for a safe flight every time the plane takes off. Honestly, I was feeling dizzy during those flights and there were times that the delicious food that flight attendants were serving lost its appeal. 

I thank God that Maymay was my traveling buddy. She knows everything and for that, I am very proud of her! With all the connecting flights and boarding gates that we need to catch, I just couldn't imagine myself walking around the big airports of Incheon and asking airport authorities for directions. She's so impressive. I was thankful she was so patient to me because as I said, this is my first international flight. 

Flying with Asiana Airlines was very satisfying. Honestly, I was so anxious with our 12-hour flight from South Korea to San Francisco. At this time, I was dizzy. Good thing there were few passengers so we had the chance to have have the whole row by ourselves so we can lie to sleep. The lights were turned off so I had a wonderful rest.

July 6, 2020, when I landed the American soil. I couldn't hide the excitement and I cried in silence as I thought that what was once a dream came into reality. As the plane landed, I said to myself that this is it! It is time to live with my dream! Suddenly I got homesick remembering my family but then they are the reason why I'm working hard to reach my goal.

I was able to witness two of the biggest airports in the United States: the San Francisco International Airport and Chicago O'Hare International Airport. These airports have different architectural designs but I like the latter because it is easier to navigate. While we were spending our layovers, I also fed my eyes with the amazing view of the airports: lots of signature stores and I wish that someday I'm gonna buy some of the designer items for myself. 

Right now, it's still unbelievable how this small girl was blessed with a wonderful opportunity. Imagine, I have flown all the way from the Philippines to Sioux City! I thank God countless times for my answered prayers. He is my refuge and my strength. To him, I cling to His promises. I can feel his love for me. He has guided me in everything that I do and provided things that I need and even more. Even though I'm million miles away from my family but my faith is firm. Distance doesn't matter. Technology has made distance a thing of the past as I am constantly checking them everyday.

Having said that, being an OFW is not always 'the good times'. Each one has to undergo hardships. Not only you have to fight homesickness but also the possibility of discrimination against other races. That's why I am fervently praying that I can easily adapt in here and will make friends with the people.

Indeed, this is a dream that comes with a cost. Still, I need to work for it. I hope I will achieve success in the land of the free.

No comments: