Saturday, July 18, 2020

My first days in America

The moment we landed at Sioux Gateway Airport, I was nervous. At last, I'm gonna meet our HR who we have constant communication with. Her name is Amy. When we saw her outside, we were not so sure if that was her but when we approached her, it was confirmed. My nervousness faded away as she greeted us warmly and helped to load our bags at the back of her car. When she drove us going to the hospital (coz this is where we'll spend our quarantine) I should say she's a very outgoing person. She was delighted to show us the places around Sioux City. 

Upon arriving, we went to the  Levitt Guesthouse located at the 4th floor of the hospital. She showed us our room and I saw a set of scrubs and a T-shirt placed on the table. She was so welcoming as she said that we call her if we need anything.

While staying in the hospital's guesthouse, I couldn't ask for more: a wonderful accommodation (because of the suite room) with free meals, TV, and unlimited WiFi connection. 

As the days passed, here are the things I've observed and I'm still very amused:
  • Speaking of free meals, sumptuous meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner)  are delivered at 8am, 12noon, and 6pm. Honestly, the big portions are hard to finish for my small tummy. and more and more I miss rice.
  • Since we are under quarantine, we monitor our temperatures and it's not in Celsius but in Fahrenheit. From morning, mid-day to night. They are not into metric system here.
  • We looked for apartments and I took the courage to call each one of them. I'm thankful the receptionists that I talked to were kind and considerate because there are times I couldn't get my English right.
  • I found the nights here weird because it doesn't get dark until 9PM, way much different from the Philippines where we take our dinner at 7PM because it's dark already.
  • It is our first time to use the thermostat to adjust the airconditioner's temperature and we were terrified to hear some cracking sounds from the ceiling. At first, we were worried and because of this, we phoned a friend just to make sure if it's alright.
  • I found the hot baths refreshing! 
  • If you want to cross the street, you need to press the button so the pedestrian lane is free for you to cross
  • We went to a nearby convenience store, HyVee and I was glad that I already have 20, 50 bills and coins as change
  • In Walmart, we were introduced to the self-check out feature of the store. We used a credit card for that.
  • A box of milk is always present on meal times and  we have lots of it inside our fridge
  • I'm starting to like pepper because it gives more flavor to the food.
I know there are lots of things that I need to discover in America but this is all for now. I have more to learn.

No comments: