Monday, May 25, 2020

Platelet apheresis donor experience

Blood bank medtech and blood donor at the same time.

I didn’t expect to be an apheresis donor until June 2018 came and a patient desperately needed an aphe donor to replete his very low platelet count. The patient’s blood type was A positive and I happened to have the same blood type as his. They looked for donors but to no avail. Because of the urgency and the family was already crying and desperate, as a medtech, I felt the urge to help so I decided to give it a try and willingly offered to donate my platelets.

SCREENING BEFORE THE APHERESIS PROCEDURE

The platelet apheresis procedure costs a lot of money. The apheresis kit is expensive. In our hospital, the apheresis price is 25000 pesos so everything has to be made sure starting from the screening of donor up to the processing of the platelet concentrate.

I had my colleague who is the apheresis operator to check my veins. Since I’m a whole blood donor already (I was able to donate whole blood twice in our blood bank), she said that my veins qualified for the procedure. First, I filled out the screening form and submitted to interview right away. When I passed the interview, they took my pulse rate, temperature and blood pressure. Luckily, my vitals were okay then they extracted a blood sample for screening.

The donor’s blood sample is used to:

·         confirm my blood type

·         check my hematocrit

·         screen for malaria

·         screen for Hep B, Anti-HCV, HIV (PCR-based)

·         see if my platelet count meets the requirement of at least 200,000 (I remembered my platelet count was 342,000)

After I passed all the screening, I needed to do fasting first. It should be at least 4 hours. When the time has come, my colleague (the operator) set up the Haemonetics apheresis machine. I was glad to observe how it was done since I’m a blood bank staff too. Who knows, I could be an apheresis operator someday? Haha. While waiting, I took a tablet of Caltrate plus and drank Chuckie, a chocolate milk drink. Fresh milk will do if Chuckie is not available. It is really recommended to drink it prior donation since this will replace the Calcium lost during the donation. That’s why we remind the patient’s significant other (S.O.) to buy 2 tablets of Caltrate and 2 chuckie or fresh milk after the donor passed the screening.

All was set. I sat on the comfy phlebo chair and relaxed. I conditioned myself that this will be the same as whole blood donation. After my colleague cleaned my arm, she inserted the 16-gauge needle to my vein. So glad the pain was bearable and the drawing of blood started.


FOR YOUR INFORMATION

The apheresis procedure consists of cycles. The number of cycles depends on the donor’s platelet count. A higher platelet count means fewer cycles and few cycles entail faster time of donation. The donor’s hematocrit could be a factor on the number of cycles as well. Each cycle has two stages: the drawing and returning of blood. It is really recommended that the donor should be oriented first about the whole procedure and to raise any concerns if there is uneasiness felt during donation. Take note that the machine processes the blood. The platelets are only harvested in here and the red cells are being returned inside the body.

During my first aphe donation, I had 6 cycles. I didn’t feel anything on the drawing of blood part but there was this cold sensation by the time the machine returned the blood into my body. In returning stage, the blood is mixed with the anticoagulant ACD (Acid Citrate Dextrose) to prevent blood from clotting. It was as if I could feel the ACD penetrated into my knees and I felt a little bit nauseous but it was manageable.

I never felt bored as the television was turned on. What I was worried about every cycle was my vein. What if it collapses in the middle of the procedure? While I was squeezing the pumping ball during the drawing stage, I couldn’t help to think of collapsing vein and needle dislodge but my colleague was considerate, she adjusted the pressure to around 85.

I kept on praying that the procedure would be successful when the returning of the 6th cycle came and the machine beeped that the process is done. It was a relief when my colleague took the needle out and I applied pressure to the puntured site. The whole procedure took 2 hours.

AFTER CARE

Since I lost a considerable amount of platelets, I needed to replenish it as well. I would like to thank another co-worker for recommending Mott’s apple juice for me to drink after the donation. In one week, my platelet count went back to 300,000. I also drink milk before bedtime to replace the Calcium lost.

COMPARISON

Being a platelet apheresis donor is okay as compared to being a whole blood donor. I didn’t feel anything after the procedure! For the first time, I saw my precious platelets ready to extend another person’s life. The bag of platelets was transfused to the patient right after and when there was considerable increase of the patient’s platelet count, the family returned to the blood bank to see me. What a joy to see the patient’s mother smiling as she thanked me for helping her son.

After that successful procedure, I felt the need to help more people and decided to include myself in the roster of donors. Since then, my platelets have helped several patients with dengue, cancer, and those who undergo coronary artery bypass graft (CABG) surgery. Over time, I got used to apheresis procedure. I prefer the drawing stage, honestly.

Donating platelets is fulfilling. When families contact me for help, I’m always ready to have my blood screened provided that I’m in good health also. Who would have thought, I could be an apheresis donor. I don’t have much money in my pocket but I’m so thankful to God for giving me such an opportunity to help my brothers and sisters in need through my platelets.


No comments: