Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Ways to apply as a medical technologist in the USA

While I was still working on my documents, I already started looking for jobs in the US. At that time, I was really determined to look for some ways to pass my resume. I thought seeking employment abroad is easy when there were times I felt like giving up because I see no positive responses. But you know what, what kept me going on submitting my application is to help my family.

Of 3 years working in the hospital, here are some of the ways that I tried in hopes I could get a job offer abroad. Who knows one of these options might work for you so don’t be afraid to try. Your bright future awaits you!

1.       Thru referral

-          Good for you if you know of someone who is already working in the US, maybe a relative or a friend.  You might ask him or her if there is any job vacancy in the company that she’s working and if you’re lucky enough, submit your application right away. You might put the person in your character references. This will be an advantage since you let the recruiter know of someone working in there. In my case, I don't have a relative who could petition me and even though I have friends who are already working in there, they are not yet confident in referring other medtechs since they're still new in the company and they come from an agency so I undertand them.

2.       Obtaining international experience first by working in other country

-          I’ve heard that some American companies prefer medtechs who already have international working experience. I thought of applying to Middle East countries like Dubai, Qatar, and Abu Dhabi since they require few documents. By working there, this would be my stepping stone to America but unfortunately I received no responses from them.

3.       Seeking help from agencies

-          There are pros and cons in seeking help from these agencies. There are agencies that even though you’re not yet complete with your documents, they are ready to assist you, but once you complete your requirements you still have to undergo visa lottery. Lucky for you if you’ll be picked first try but if not, you will have to apply again for the next fiscal year. Also, there are agencies that only considers your application if you’re already complete with the requirements. You need not to worry for visa lottery anymore since they will look for CAP-exempt employers. The company will be the ones to sponsor your working visa. Although sounds promising but the agency’s service costs an arm and a leg. I am so sorry I didn’t have that sum of money so I remained in their waiting list.

4.       Sending applications online

-          My last resort. Although I thought that the chance of getting my resume noticed by employers is low, I still gave it a try. Nothing to lose. God only knows how many online applications I submitted to various websites for 3 years.  What I did is that I listed all the hospitals in each state and started filling out application forms in their careers portal and uploaded pertinent documents that could support my eligibility to practice my profession. Even though I get discouraged because I kept on receiving numerous rejection letters but I still kept on sending resumes. Also, I polished and revised my resume from time to time. Honestly, I was interviewed by three employers but unfortunately some of them declined because they couldn’t sponsor foreigners for a working visa. Until September 2019 came and a certain recruiter emailed me. He told me that the company is willing to sponsor visa since they are in utmost need of medical technologists and asked me when’s the best time for me to have the interview. After reading the email, I was glad and replied immediately that I’m ready to have the interview at the soonest time at their convenience. Fast forward, the interview went smoothly and 2 weeks after, the recruiter told me that I’m already hired and gave me the offer letter to sign. At that time, I cried for joy and so I thanked them and that started our H-1B working visa petition.

I thank God for giving me this opportunity. I’m so blessed. I don’t have that large sum of money to pay the agency but he was generous. Truly, if you will just be patient then it will be given to you in the right time. When I think that the future is bleak, I always turn to God for consolation. I always hold on to his promises and always put my family as my driving force.

My advice to you is to never give up. Try what works best for you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

May I know the recruiter who messaged you Ma'am? There's also a recruiter who messaged me but I'm afraid I would get scammed.